8/6/09

Growing and Changes

Here we are again, over half way through the year. August first has come and gone and soon we will officially start school. Life has changed drastically here since my last post. We now have custody of my great niece and great nephew. Seven kids, two adults, and a springer spaniel in a 700 square foot house is definitely never boring!

This summer has been a time of growth, in more ways than one. My family size grew from 7 to 9. My two oldest children grew as tall as me and the next two aren't far behind. My girls feet grew into the same size shoe as me. My Keegan grew out of his size fours! Kaden is growing into potty training. But the most important growth has been spiritual.

Our teen group had three trips this year- a week long youth conference, a week at the Wilds christian camp, and a weekend at a prayer advance. This has changed the hearts and lives of two "good" kids. They discovered a concept that is so great, so life changing, that I had to share it. They don't want to be good!

All these years, I have been so proud of having good kids and of being a good christian. In one short testimony, that was ruined for me forever. They introduced me to the concept that being a good christian does not mean you are a godly christian. I know, it sounds simple. But, it has changed the very structure of our family! Why would I want "good" kids if I can have godly kids? Why would I want to be a "good christian" that follows all the rules and does what I should, if I can be a godly christian?

Apparently, my Pastor has also been touched by what is going on, because his sermons have gone from great to phenomenal. We have had sermon after sermon that breaks the heart and opens it to the Spirit. Now, we are finishing a week of Day Camp/VBS where many have been saved and we are having fun and fellowship in the Lord. As a result of all of this going on, the Longwell's have made some changes.

We canceled our cable. We gave away our tv. We reimplemented family devotions that got canceled when Daddy started the evening shift. We limited Wii to Wii Fit and that only a half hour a day on a 19" tv. We spend more time together, more time praying, more time with God, more time serving God and others, more time HAPPY!!!

And guess what? WE DON'T EVEN MISS IT!!! Sometimes, in the evening, I wish for a little "boob tube" distraction. But I pick up my Bible or a good book about christian character or I pray for my kids. We read together. We go on walks. We talk about what is going on in each others lives. We tell our children our hopes and dreams for them and what we expect of them. We have time and no distractions so we LISTEN to each other. They are growing in a close personal relationship with God as their "Daddy" and it thrills my heart!

No comments:

Hello and welcome. My name is Jeannette and my husband Rick and I have 7 kids- Devin age 14, Sierra age 12, Mackenzie age 10, Tanner age 8, Keegan age 6, Skyler age 4, and Kaden 21 months . We homeschool and hope you enjoy this glimpse into our lives.